About Me

My photo
I'm a busy mom of two very active boys and and married to a wonderful husband and love of my life. I work in social services. But what's really awesome, is that I can blend my love the law and working with people with disabilities. But my true passion is writing, which helps me make sense of my world.

Friday, June 4, 2010

After 40 years....

Yesterday, I heard that Al Gore and his wife Tipper decided to divorce after 40 years of marriage. According to Good Morning America, the Gores were high school sweethearts who married right after college. Then Al went into politics at the age of 26 and his career continued on to Vice Presidency in the 90's. Now, not knowing much about the Gores, I'm assuming that his wife decided to stay at home, raise their four children and support her husband's career.

Now that Al Gore's political career has passed, his is focused on environmental activism. He has obviously followed his passion. Then it was brought to my attention, that he was traveling a lot and hardly home because of his work. It was said that their divorce has nothing to do with any kind of extra marital affairs. If that's the case, why split up after 40 years? I mean, who wants to start over in their sixties?

But wait... maybe I'm being too judgemental. In fact, I know I'm being judegmental. Now I think I need to figure this out....

I mean, if Al Gore can follow his passion and save the world through environmental activism, then maybe it was time for Tipper to find her own passion. I heard that she's an talented photographer and an advocate for mental health issues. In addition, their children are all accomplished adults. Maybe she has own plans for her own life. Perhaps when married couple grows up and grows apart, perhaps marriage is not in the equation anymore

So maybe their divorce has nothing to do with wanting to go out and date or marry other people.

Maybe it's about being selfish. But selfish in a good way. I don't think their marriage failed. And I say this because as husband and wife, they were able to fulfill each other's need in order to accomplish their goals. But now as they approach the twilight of their lives, maybe they feel they can now explore their own passions seperately.

In the end, I hope they can maintain a relationship corgially, at least for their family's sake.

I still don't understand divorce and I'm still confused by that whole decision making process. But I can at least understand following your passion and living your life to the fullest.




5 comments:

Chris said...

That one boggles me a bit too. You don't hear about too many 40 year marriages ending up in divorce. But if Al is always gone, and they are pretty much living separate lives, then the wedding ring must be dragging them down. Tipper has plenty more good years in her, so I say good for her. Plus I think it was Al insisting on wearing the Pulitzer during sex that drove them apart.

Cheapskate Kim said...

There's ALWAYS another person in it--- they may be trying to maintain their dignities and keep it quiet-- but I'm sure there's someone else on either side.

Sherita said...

hahaha...Chris, you are funny!!

judy said...

I have to agree with Cheapskate. A woman (unless abused) will probably never move out of her comfort zone unless someone else is pulling the blanket off. It does not take to much to keep us happy. Love, attention and appreciation is pretty much it for all us gals. If a woman is leaving her man it is because someone is giving her what ever it is she is missing at home.
Men are another story. LOL

Sherita said...

You guys are probably right...maybe there is someone else on the side...but I'm glad we're not getting the gory or gross details, i.e., sex tapes, mistresses hiding running from the paperazzi or Gloria Alteredge "women's rights activist/attorney" talking about a settlement on TMZ lol!!

For the love of flowers

For the love of flowers
I have recently discovered my love for taking pics of flowers. This was taken in a small garden in Indiana...

Followers